The chair is headed by Shamil Abdulaevich Imnaev (since 2005), director of the sports complex of PSU, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Graduate of the Department of German Language in 1991.
In 1997 he graduated fr om the Sports Department of Stavropol State University as a Teacher of physical education, Excellence Awardee in Physical Culture and Sports of Russia, Candidate Master of Sports in volleyball.
Throughout the history, the Department of Physical Education and Sports has been paying a special attention to the development of physical education and sports of students as well as of tutors of the university.
Recent years, PSU sharply increased the number of sports clubs of popular sports which can be practiced during a non-academic time (basketball, volleyball, athletics, table tennis, swimming, and many others).
Along with participation in Games and competitions of different levels, students of the university organize friendly matches in many sports with the teams of Caucasus Mineral Waters cities.
In 2007 a new branch of Recreation and Therapeutic Tourism was opened at the Department of English and French language. We see the future of our department closely united with the division of recreation because all long-term programs of development of our region and the country are related to the health of the nation and the development of physical education and sports. Today the department of recreation and therapeutic tourism successfully works at the Institute of Roman and German Languages, Informational and Humanitarian Technologies.
The department aims to implement a strategy of education diversification, innovation, and scientific and methodological activities in different situations of professional competencies implementation; to solve innovation issues, to provide relative autonomy and freedom of choice of the initiated projects.
The main objective of the department is to provide quality educational process and coordination of educational, methodical, and scientific work, carried out in the framework of training courses.
As an integrated unit of a creative innovative university and taking into consideration a mission, key priorities, strategic objectives of Integrative General Conceptual Education Strategy of PSU, the chair provides training in all areas and large groups of Physical Education subject (Secondary vocational education, bachelor).
The chair of Physical Education and Sports works in 5 directions:
1. Educational, methodic work, educational process improvement.
The chair of Physical Education and Sports implements its educational functions in direct pedagogic process of physical education of university students, providing formation of physical education of a person, and ability of direct use of different means of physical education, sports, and tourism, to keep and strengthen a health of psychophysical training and self-training to future professional activity, education of future experts.
2. Research and Scientific and Methodological Work, advanced training, student’s scientific work supervision.
The Chair of Physical Education and Sports carries out a scientific work in the following directions:
- Publication of the scientific studies results in different journals, including HAC journals, Russian collected papers, which belong to the national informational and analytic system of RSCI;
- Publication of scientific articles in the foreign collected papers, included in Scopus base;
- Annual participation in scientific and methodological “University Readings” with reports, representing the chair;
- Participation in different conferences of various levels;
- Participation in the work on a collective monograph on “Factors of Natural Ergogenic Environment in the Physical Education of Students”, as well as participation with this work in the All-Russian Contest for a Scientific Book – 2020, held by the Fund of Russian Education Development.
- Academic aid on “Basic Types of Sports Recreation” for students of 49.03.03 – Recreation and Sports Tourism – Basic Types of Sports Recreation (active games). That aid was presented at University Book – 2015, VI Siberian Interregional Competition of Higher Educational Facilities Editions, in a category of the Best Academic Edition on Humanitarian, Civic, and Social Sciences. The author of the edition received a participant certificate (S.A. Imnaev).
Activation of scientific, research and methodological work is based on contemporary achievements in the science of pedagogy, psychology, and sociology, which allows creating all the conditions for students to receive knowledge at PSU within the frameworks of their competencies. This is provided by the scientific and methodological base, formed by the chair. Recent 5 years the Chair of Physical Education and Sports has worked out 23 aids.
2019 – S.A. Imnaev, Development of the Motor Response and Accuracy in Volleyball, Basketball, and Handball on the Basis of Biomechanical Characteristics and Application of Time-Sensitive Means: academic aid for students of all specialties. – Pyatigorsk: PSU, 2019.
The publication activity index is constantly growing thanks to a wide spectrum of activities and scientific potential of the teaching staff of the chair.
The number of RSCI publications of the chair’s lecturer has risen significantly and amounted to 130 articles.
Nine articles applied to the section of Pedagogic Sciences, and A.V. Svyatokha’s project won first place (supervised by G.V. Shiyanova).
A complex of activities, implemented by the Chair of Physical Culture and Sports, headed by Associate Professor S.A. Imnaev, Candidate of Pedagogic Sciences allows integrating innovative technologies of physical education, used in a work, and present its result in projects:
Volleyball Unites Us! The main objective of the project is to create partner relations between Russian and German organizations and promote further implementation of the young people exchange in the field of physical education and sports through the popularization of a healthy lifestyle and volleyball with keen mutual understanding, reliability and formation of a positive image for a partner-country. The working-out and implementation of the project involved Sebastian Kind, a couch of a German volleyball team and the Chair of Physical Education and Culture, headed by Shamil Imnaev and backed by the Institute of Foreign Languages and International Tourism, headed by Irina Akopyants.
The Chair leads an active work on organization and co-organization of scientific conferences as well as seminars and roundtables:
1. Roundtable on “Introduction of Russian Sports Complex of “Ready for Labor and Defense” into a Multi-level Educational System” (November 15, 2016);
2. Seminar on “Timely Issues of Physical Education and Student Sport Development in the Higher Education Facilities of the North Caucasus Federal District” (November 13, 2017);
3. All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference on “Timely Issues of All-Russian Sports Complex of “Ready for Labor and Defense” Introduction” (November 22, 2017);
4. VI All-Russian Meeting of Heads of the Chairs on Issues of Education on Technosphere Safety, Health Safety, Environment Protection, and Environmental Engineering (October 11, 2017).
5. All-Russian Seminar on “Timely Issues of Physical Culture and Student Sport Development” (December 12, 2017, Moscow);
6. All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference with International Participants on “Problems and Prospects of Physical Education, Sports Training, and Adaptive Physical Culture” (February 21, 2018, Kazan);
7. All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference on “Student Potential in Organization of International Sports Events: development trends” (October 17, 2019, Pyatigorsk).
The Chair of Physical Education and Sports is a graduating chair on a specialty of 49.03.03 – Recreation and Sports Tourism. More than 80 graduation works for a bachelor's degree were supervised by the associate professors of the chair.
Success in professional training of future experts at PSU is achieved on the basis of the creation of an integrated informational and educational environment, which includes subject means that provide the formation of knowledge and systematically provided additional training and retraining of human resource potentiall of the Chair of Physical Education and Sports.
3. The educational and social work, the formation of a social competence and civic consciousness of graduates, preparing them for employment and future career.
Considering educational and social work of the Chair of Physical Education and Sports, implementing the system of educational work in accordance with an all-university concept, the Chair provides work on different levels.
During the tutorial, students are included in all the forms of social life, and active social position is achieved through sports. Defending the honor of an institute or higher school, university, city, country in different competitions forms not only an active position but also influences a structure of moral and intellectual characteristics, aesthetic ideals, and values. This is a both-way process because it concerns not only athletes but also coaches, jury, and spectators.
Physical education and sports give every student and officer of the university great opportunities for development of their own personality and doing sports as a creative process, makes them enjoy their victories, be upset with their failures, reflecting all the spectrum of human emotions, and evoke pride from the limitless possibilities of a human body.
Only on this basis, it is possible to build a policy of development and formation of a high level of social competencies.
4) Research and production, practice-oriented, project, and entrepreneurial and innovative activity.
Implementation of innovative chair activity indexes.
PSU educational strategy provides for a system of sustainable development of the university, based on the strengthening of the practical orientation of professional education.
Practice-oriented, innovation and project activity is included in the compulsory part of new education programs, teaching materials, work programs, program practices, and preparation of course and final qualifying works.
5) Participation of the Chair in the process of internationalization of university activities, and in the implementation of export-oriented projects, strengthening of an international prestige of PSU.
Innovations of the university are impossible without the internationalization of all PSU activities aspects. The chair together with the departments, institutes, and higher schools actively works on a search for new mechanisms of this direction implementation. This year, the chair worked actively to strengthen an international image of the Pyatigorsk State University as an academic, scientific, and the Conference Center.
The Chair provides training in 23 sports.
All the competitions results are published on PSU web-page.
Sport and Climbing Club of PSU successfully implement its work. Students occupy prize positions at Krai and All-Russian competitions. PSU high-climbing team summited Ojos del Salado, the highest volcano of the planet. In June 2014 they ascended Elbrus, the highest top of Europe, and in July 2014 our climbers raised PSU flag at the top of Montblanc.
Pyatigorsk State Linguistic University is in the Association of Student Basketball (ASB). The university team is represented by juniors and girls teams. In 2014-2015, the girls' team took the first place, and juniors took 5th place in Association of Student Basketball Championship in NCFD division and participated in the qualification into Belov league.
In 2013, the Rector of PSU approved a Special Scholarship for Special Sports Achievements. And since the 2014-2015 academic year, the students who participate in ASB have been paid with an enhanced scholarship.
We should note special conditions for sports: sporting hall, fresh airs, specially equipped gyms, table tennis hall, shaping hall, swimming pool.
There is a medical control over the athletes’ health. The University administration represented by Rector A.P. Gorbunov constantly makes a great contribution to competitions organization.
Damkhurts Sport and Treatment Camp plays an important role in mass sports work with students. Every year students and employees of the university go there to recover their health. And every year it attracts more people.
At the year-end, the Chair of Physical Culture and Sports together with sports club carries out an innovative sports event called Parade of Champions wh ere cups, medals, diplomas, and prizes are awarded to students and tutors-athletes. For the first time, junior volleyball players were presented with certificates of Candidates Master of Sports. Sports evening is held annually, in a festive atmosphere, champions are awarded by the president, the rector, vice-rectors of the university, trade unions heads, directors of institutes and higher schools.
There are a lot of mass sports events of different level on the basis of PSU sports complex.
1. Pyatigorsk Mayor Volleyball Cup,
2. Taekwondo International Competitions,
3. Aikido International Competitions,
4. Regional Volleyball Competitions,
5. Regional Basketball Competitions,
6. Kudo Russian Championship,
7. NCFD Table Tennis Championship.
The chair’s tutors are couches in different sports, implement judges functions, organize friendly matches. Every academic year starts with a plan of sport and educational work.